2012-2013 Superintendent’s Back-to-School Breakfast
CUSD Superintendent Janet Young, Ed.D., offered her annual State of Clovis Unified School District September 18 at the 2012 Superintendent’s Back-to-School Breakfast sponsorerd by the Foundation for Clovis Schools. More than 450 community members attended the breakfast which began with a welcome from Foundation for Clovis Schools Board of Directors Chairman, Hugh Awtrey, folowed by several selections performed by the Buchanan High School Chamber Choir. Next, 19 elementary through high school students were brought onstage and honored for winning this year’s Foundation for Clovis Schools Art Contest. Dr. Young then took the podium, highlighting the district’s many accomplishments in 2011-2012¬†and goals for the new school year. Her speech followed the district’s yearlong theme of “Believe.”
Just a few of the things on Dr. Young’s list included:
- Four schools honored with Bonner Character Education Awards;
- 27 California Interscholastic Federation Athletic Championship titles;
- Passage of a $298 million facility bond that will benefit every one of our schools;
- 14 schools honored as State Distinguished Schools;
- Two Title 1 Academic Achievement Award Schools;
- One National Blue Ribbon Award School;
- Two National Schools to Watch Awards, making us the only district in the nation with all five of our intermediate schools so honored;
- Winner of our 13th consecutive Meritorious Budget Award, granted by the International Association of School Business Officials.
- Performance Index (API) score increased from 875 to 880. This is one of, if not the, highest scores awarded a school district of comparable size in California.