In 1986, then Clovis Unified Superintendent Dr. Floyd B. “Doc” Buchanan had the vision of a foundation for public schools that would help ensure kids always had the resources needed to excel. The foundation would fill the funding gaps when state and federal dollars weren’t available.
In the spring of 1987, a volunteer Board of Directors was recruited.
Members of the Founding Board of Directors included:
- President: Jerry Cook, Grundfos Pumps
- Vice President: Wanda Rogers, Rogers Helicopters
- Secretary/Treasurer: Bill Smittcamp, Wawona Orchards
- Executive Director: Linda Holmes, Clovis Unified School District
- Lawson Bartell, Bartell Marketing
- Dr. Floyd Buchanan, CUSD Superintendent
- Steve Christensen, Christensen-Hamel Developers
- Darrel Dietrich, Pacific Gas & Electric
- Ron Dorrell, Pepsi Cola San Joaquin
- Bill Jirsa, Grupe Development
- R. Kent Kunz, Pierce Enterprises
- Bill McFarlane, Farmer
- Marcia Nagel, Guarantee Savings
- Everett “Bud” Rank, Rancher
- Bob Richter, Duncan Enterprises
- Betsy Sandoval, CUSD Governing Board
- Mae Takahashi, Manor Drugs
- Joe Town, Vendo Company
This dynamic group took on the challenge of mobilizing community support and soliciting the first donors to the Foundation. We referred to our first donors as “Guardians of the Future” and, to this day, use this affectionate term for all individuals and businesses who invest in our children by contributing to the Foundation.
Since its inception, the Foundation has raised over $4 million dollars which have supported much needed educational programs and scholarships at every school in the district. Because the generosity and confidence of the community, the Foundation for Clovis Schools continues to fulfill its mission of providing opportunities for students to succeed academically and personally.